Updated Student Application Deadline: Thursday, September 15, 2022
Each project or center may nominate up tostudents or recent alumni to attend the in-person 2022 ATE Conference being held on October 26-28, 2022.
A review committee will evaluate the applications received and select up to 60 students to participate in the event. AACC will notify these individuals by COB on Friday, September 16.
If your nominee is chosen, AACC will provide them with complimentary conference registration and lodging for two nights on October 26 and 27, 2022. Your institution is expected to cover student transportation costs to and from the conference.
Students/alumni selected to attend the ATE Conference are expected to attend the following student events:
1) Student Orientation Zoom Meeting: AACC hosted a Zoom meeting designed for student attendees on Thursday, September 22, from 6:00 – 6:30 p.m. EDT. The meeting was designed to provide an orientation to the conference and highlight why you should attend, what you need to do to attend, what you can expect, and how you can maximize your time to get the most out of the conference and its many networking opportunities.
To view of a recoding of the session, click here.
To view the slides, click here.
2) Student Meet and Greet: For any students arriving early to the conference, AACC is coordinating an informal meet and greet opportunity on Wednesday, October 26 at 1:30 p.m. in the Executive room. Join us for some light refreshment, introductions, and an opportunity to meet your fellow students. The meet and greet will also include a guided tour of the Omni Shoreham Hotel, information on its rich history, and a visit to its infamous ghost suite. Following the hotel tour, students can set-up for their poster session in the Ambassador ballroom.
3) Student Poster Session – Required: Students and alumni are required to participate in a poster session on Wednesday, October 26 from 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. in the Ambassador ballroom. The poster session will give you an opportunity to highlight your program of study and career path. For the session, students will have access to one half of a 4’ x 8’ display board to display their poster. Posters must fit within a 4’ x 4’ space. Students will be expected to stand by their posters for a 90-minute display period to engage with conference attendees from 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Poster Session Guidelines – For detailed information regarding poster session guidelines, please click here.
Poster Session Sign-Up – Students are required to sign up for the poster session when completing the 2022 ATE Student Information form, which was emailed to them with their student acceptance information.
Student Poster Session Schedule – Wednesday October 26
Note: Students from the same institution/project may elect to develop a joint poster presentation and display together. However, due to spacing and visibility concerns, AACC will allow no more than two students to jointly present a single poster. Students are encouraged to develop their own individual posters for display.
4) Special Student Only Session: AACC will host a special, student-only session on Thursday, October 27 from 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. It will be an enjoyable, highly-interactive, and informative experience. See the session description below and be sure to join this workshop!
9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Design Your Purpose – Using Innovation Tools & Mindsets to Craft the Career You Want
Open to ATE Students Only
How might you combine your skills, interests, and the causes you care about into a meaningful career? In this workshop, you will learn innovation tools and mindsets to help you start answering that question and intentionally designing the career you want. Whether you already know exactly what you want to do or have no idea, you will leave the session equipped with new skills and an entrepreneurial mindset that will help you identify opportunities, generate lots of ideas, and quickly prototype possibilities.
5) Student/Alumni Recognition Breakfast on Friday, October 28 – Required: ATE students, alumni, and their PIs are expected to attend a special recognition breakfast on Friday, October 28 from 7:30 – 8:45 a.m. in the Empire ballroom. ATE students and alumni will be formally recognized by NSF for their achievements in ATE programs.
6) Student Educational Tour: As part of the ATE Conference, AACC offers ATE students and alumni a complimentary tour of the newly remodeled Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum and the opportunity to see some of the city’s important landmarks such as the White House, Washington Monument, U.S. Capitol Building, and others on Thursday, October 27. The bus departs the Omni Shoreham Hotel at 2:00 p.m. and will return at 5:30 p.m. Please sign up for the tour by filling out the 2022 ATE Student Information form, which was emailed with the student acceptance notifications. There is no charge for students to take the tour. However, we do require that you sign up ahead of time to attend.
Questions: If you have any questions on student events/participation, please contact Courtney Larson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Students and recent alumni are also welcome to attend the virtual ATE Connects Kick-Off and the November 4 virtual conference track—though there are no student-specific virtual sessions or programming.